Large pores can look unsightly, causing you to feel embarrassed by your skin. Even though pore size is genetic and can't be permanently changed, there are several things you can do to make large pores appear smaller - from practicing good skin care to receiving laser treatment and trying home remedies.
- Use ice. Rubbing an ice cube over your pores for 10 to 15 seconds can help to tighten the skin and close up the pores, making them appear smaller. You should only do this on clean, freshly-washed skin.
BNY Skincare recommends their Cleansers for Pores: A non-foaming facial cleanser that penetrates deep into pores while reducing surface bacteria. A unique blend of teas contain antioxidants which protect the skin from free radicals and other environmental pollutants. Read More ... Keep your face clean. When pores become clogged with dirt and oil, they can appear larger and more noticeable. Therefore, it is important to keep your face clean in order to minimize the amount of dirt and oil on the surface of the skin.
- Wash your face once in the morning and once in the evening. Washing more than this can dry out your skin and cause it to become irritated, making your pores appear larger.
- Wash your face with a gentle cleanser (without sulfates) and use warm, rather than hot water. Gently dab (don't rub) your face dry with a clean, soft towel.
Use baking soda. Make a paste from one tablespoon of baking soda and a little water.
- Apply this paste to the problem areas and leave to dry for 5 to 10 minutes before rinsing with warm water.
- This can help to minimize the appearance of pores. Baking soda also dries out the skin, which can help to fight acne. Any method that reduces skin oil will also make pores appear smaller.
Make an egg white mask. Egg white masks are believed to tighten pores, making them appear smaller.
- Mix 2 raw eggs whites with 1/4 cup of fresh orange juice. Apply this mask to the face and leave to sit for 15 minutes before rinsing with warm water.
- The orange juice helps to brighten your complexion.
BNY's Green Tea Rejuvenation Serum: BNY's Green Tea Rejuvenating Serum is our strongest anti-oxidant serum. Antioxidants like Green Tea and exfoliating acids are key ingredients in pore-minimizing serums because they can unclog congested pores, clear dead skin, and reduce excess sebum. In addition to exfoliation and oil reduction, it's important to keep your skin properly hydrated and soothed if you want to reduce the appearance and size of your pores. Focus the application to problem areas like your nose, cheeks, or forehead. It is great for mature skin and sun-damaged skin. Super moisture and high levels of green tea extract (15%) make this our most popular skin rejuvenating serum. Read More...
Exfoliate. Exfoliating helps to remove dead skin cells, which would otherwise mix with dirt and oil on the surface of your skin, causing blocked pores.
- You should exfoliate a couple of times a week, using a gentle exfoliating scrub with fine particles. Scrubs with larger exfoliating particles can be abrasive, causing micro tears and scratches on the skin.
- Alternatively, you can use a clean washcloth to gently rub your face using small circular motions.
- If you can afford it, consider splurging on a motorized cleansing brush, such as Clarisonic, which exfoliates the skin as it cleans and is said to be twice as effective as washing your face by hand.
- You can also use a chemical exfoliant like alpha or beta hydroxy acid, which dissolves dead skin cells. Chemical exfoliants are actually more gentle and effective, especially BHAs
Use noncomedogenic moisturizer. Moisturizer is important for healthy skin. It also prevents the skin from drying out, which can make pores appear larger.
- When buying a moisturizer, look for one labelled "noncomedogenic" as this means that it will not clog your pores.
- If you tend to have sensitive skin, you should stay away from moisturizers containing colors or fragrances, as this can be irritating.
- If you have oily skin, you may also want to look for a moisturizer that controls oil production.
Use steam treatments. Steam treatments are excellent for minimizing the appearance of pores. This is because the hot steam opens pores and allows any dirt or oil clogging them to drain away.
- To make a steam treatment, boil some water and pour it into a heat-proof bowl. Add a couple of drops of tea tree oil if you have acne-prone skin.
- Lower your face over the bowl and place a towel over your head. Allow the steam towards your face for about ten minutes.
- When you're done, wash you face and then splash with cold water. The steam doesn’t remove oil or dirt, so first wash it away. Then, splash your face with cold water to help close the pores.